The Blog of Toledo Lucas County Public Library
Many times the most useful way to learn something new is to watch a video. I find that even the best trainers sometimes go too fast for me. Lynda and YouTube have good ways to control a video presentation to get the most out of it. I go to Lynda.com first because the instructional quality is consistently high, but the controls work the same way on Lynda and on YouTube. I'll use a Lynda lesson as an example.
The Library makes Lynda available for free (requires a valid Library card and PIN). From our home page, click on Research, choose Alphabetical list, the letter L and then click on Access Now on the Lynda.com panel.
After you sign in and choose a topic, you get a Lynda navigation page. I'm learning about iMovie in Lynda, and it saves my place in the lesson, so at the moment my opening page looks like this. The first thing I do is slow it down. I learn better when the instructor’s pace is a better match for my learning speed. Also, it is easier to backtrack and watch something again when the teacher goes slower.
Below, you'll find helpful tips for using Lynda.com.
Tip: Click on screenshots to get a larger view.
- Happy Birthday Sarah J Maas!
- Locals Who Served: Five Unique Stories of Toledo Women Who Served in WWII
- St. Patrick’s Day Resources for Grades PreK-3
- Read Across America – Every Day!
- Motivation for Runners
- Daft Punk is Playing at Your House
- Science Fiction for Middle School Readers
- Novel Novellas
- Women's History Month: Feminist Romance
- A Feminist's Guide to Books About Women’s History
- 101 Picture Book Challenge (53)
- Arts, Crafts and Hobbies (83)
- Business and Investing (36)
- Children and Parenting (228)
- Computers and Technology (18)
- Cooking, Home and Garden (81)
- Coronavirus (35)
- Culture and Diversity (71)
- eBooks and Audiobooks (410)
- eMedia (53)
- Fiction (241)
- Health and Wellness (64)
- History and Politics (172)
- Library News (64)
- Local History (58)
- Movies and Music (155)
- Mysteries and Thrillers (82)
- Nature and Travel (81)
- New Books and Movies (87)
- Nonfiction (220)
- PreK-12 Teaching and Learning (168)
- - Grade Levels (65)
- + Preschool/ Kindergarten (22)
- + Early Elementary (1-3) (36)
- + Upper Elementary (4-5) (17)
- + Middle School (6-8) (10)
- + High School: (9-12) (14)
- - Subject Areas (45)
- Read-Watch-Do (13)
- Research and Resources (67)
- Romance (45)
- Science Fiction and Fantasy (84)
- Tech Tools and Making (13)
- Teen and Pre-Teens (96)
- Writing and Publishing (31)