The Blog of Toledo Lucas County Public Library
The Toledo Lucas County Public Library is proud to share that its West Toledo Branch Manager, Andrea Francis, has been named among the Library Journal's Movers and Shakers 2019 - Innovators.
As manager at the West Toledo Branch, Andrea Francis noticed one particular impact of the nation’s opioid epidemic on her customers: more children being raised by grandparents. After hearing about the Grandparent Project at a local senior center, Francis brought the Grandparent Project to the Library where programs are hosted system-wide.
Andrea also developed Grandparent Club and Grandparent Play date to address the isolation and loneliness expressed by many grandparents raising children. “We are connecting grandparents to information, forming relationships with community organizations, and, in turn, introducing them to [fellow] grandparents who participate,” said Francis.
The Grandparent Project has informational programs on a variety of topics including legal issues, education, emotional support and resources.
Get Blog Updates
Sign up for email notifications about fresh content.
- Back to School Resources for Pre-K-Grade 3
- Hitchhiker's Guide to Sci-Fi Subgenres - Part 4
- Small, but Mighty FUN!
- Get Ready for Black Widow with Marvel’s Greatest Superheroines
- Great YA Books for EFL Students, Part II
- Classics Retold
- Historic Heroines: American Revolutionaries
- Smells Like Teen Spirit: Books Set in the '90s
- Discover Dolly!
- Reduce Waste Through Sustainable Living Practices
- 101 Picture Book Challenge (55)
- Arts, Crafts and Hobbies (102)
- Business and Investing (37)
- Children and Parenting (286)
- Computers and Technology (20)
- Cooking, Home and Garden (92)
- Coronavirus (36)
- Culture and Diversity (110)
- eBooks and Audiobooks (497)
- eMedia (80)
- Fiction (321)
- Health and Wellness (78)
- History and Politics (192)
- Library News (65)
- Local History (66)
- Movies and Music (174)
- Mysteries and Thrillers (95)
- Nature and Travel (98)
- New Books and Movies (106)
- Nonfiction (275)
- PreK-12 Teaching and Learning (218)
- - Grade Levels (112)
- + Preschool/ Kindergarten (39)
- + Early Elementary (1-3) (54)
- + Upper Elementary (4-5) (28)
- + Middle School (6-8) (19)
- + High School: (9-12) (23)
- - Subject Areas (78)
- Read-Watch-Do (18)
- Research and Resources (76)
- Romance (55)
- Science Fiction and Fantasy (114)
- Tech Tools and Making (14)
- Teen and Pre-Teens (138)
- Writing and Publishing (33)