The Blog of Toledo Lucas County Public Library
Libraries are remarkable places for people of all ages, but especially children. At the Library, children are exposed to a variety of fun programs, books and resources. And there's always something new to check out. Below are a small selection of favorites from the past year that my kids loved and hopefully your kids will too (read it again!).
10 Picture Books Your Kids Will Love
Cultivating a Love of Reading from a Young Age
Did you know reading aloud to children has been proven to have lifelong benefits? Parents who read to their children are bonding with them, engaging their imagination and encouraging active learning.
The Benefits of Reading to Children
Below are a 5 reasons to read to your child:
- Reading to babies in the womb could help jump-start their language skills
- Reading to babies boosts brain development
- Reading aloud to babies and toddlers supports basic speaking skills
- Reading aloud to children increases their vocabulary
- Reading to young children helps to develop lasting literacy skills
Encourage a Lifelong Love of Reading
The books and resources below discuss the power of reading aloud to children. They also cover many ways parents can cultivate a love of reading in their children.
- Steps for Cultivating a Love of Reading in Young Children
- 25 Simple Ways To Cultivate A Love Of Reading In Your Children
- How to Help Raise a Child Who Loves to Read
- 7 Ways to Encourage a Love of Reading
- 18 Genius Ways to Make Kids Love Reading
- The Benefits of Reading to Children: From Prenatal to Adolescence