The Toledo Lucas County Public Library (TLCPL) recently partnered with Cherry Street Mission Ministries and several community groups to make the Appold Learning Center in downtown Toledo, Ohio a reality. The center was made possible in part due to a generous donation from Jim and Pat Appold. TLCPL loaned books, furniture and computers to the center and provided a training session on successful strategies for volunteering in a library. Buckeye Broadband provided servers and access to the Internet as well.
The Planning Process
Meg Delaney, Main Library manager, indicated that Dan Rogers, President and CEO of Cherry Street Mission Ministries, brought up the idea of opening a Library in the center more than two years ago. The planning process really took off in early 2018 when, in response to the Library’s decision to temporarily close for construction, leaders from TLCPL and several community groups began meeting regularly at the Main Library. Leaders from local government and area community organizations talked through programs and services that would be the most beneficial and implementation plans.
More About the Appold Learning Center
The center is located on the second floor of the Life Revitalization Center at 1501 Monroe Street in downtown Toledo. The building was once home to Macomber/Whitney high school students and is being renovated as Cherry Street adds programs and services. The Cherry Street Mission Ministries staff are thrilled with the vibe the Appold Learning Center provides and the respect people have shown towards it. The center is run entirely by volunteers.