Originally part of the Lucas County Library System, the branch operated out of a rented storefront when it opened in 1958. In July of 1975, it was relocated to a 6,000 square-foot location, again in a rented storefront of a strip mall. Finally, in April of 1985, the current 15,000 square-foot location opened. In 1998, increased usage required a second entrance, and additional parking was added. In 2009, the branch received a silver category distinction as a Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED)-certified building.